From Canada Cross Border to the USA

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED (Shipment cannot be entered into U.S unless these documents on hand)

  • Passport (copy) showing personal data and photo page
  • U.S Immigration I-94 (if applicable)
  • Customs Form 3299 "Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles"
  • Supplement Declaration for Unaccompanied Personal and Household Effects
  • Power of Attorney Form authorizing Destination Agent to act on Customer's behalf in liaisons with U.S. Customs
  • Inventory in English (detailed, PBO "packed by owner" and misc. "miscellaneous" not acceptable)


  • Shipment must clear at boarder of entry on truck
  • Used household goods and personal effects can be imported duty-free:
    • If items purchased abroad are not for resale or for use by another person, and have been in owner's possession for at least one year
    • Professional equipment which was owned and used abroad is also generally duty-free


  • New items (less than one year old), inheritance items, and gifts are dutiable
  • Sales receipts may be required on new items
  • Antiques (Certificate of Authenticity is required)
  • Medicine - Recommended travel with individual, not in shipment!
    • must be properly identified
    • must not exceed normal quantities required by an individual with a health problem
    • must have either a prescription or written statement from doctor stating that the medicine is required for physical well-being
  • Biological materials of public health or of veterinary importance require an Import Permit
    • Strongly recommend not shipping with household goods
    • Certain ports are "Dry Ports" and alcohol cannot be imported at that location; alcohol is not permitted in those states
    • All cartons containing alcoholic beverages should be loaded together, clearly marked on the inventory and be easily accessible for inspection
    • Customer must provide name, quantity, size of bottle, alcohol content, value per bottle, and date purchased


  • Liquor filled candy
  • Lottery tickets
  • Narcotics and dangerous drugs (violation will result in severe penalties)
  • Obscene or pornographic material
  • Unlawful or treasonable material
  • Hazardous articles (e.g. fireworks, combustible, corrosive, flammable or explosive items and toxic or poisonous substances)
  • Switch blade knives
  • Pirated books or articles (e.g. cassettes and computer programs) will be confiscated and destroyed
  • Foodstuff is strictly controlled and subject to inspection and confiscation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – DO NOT SHIP
  • Firearms and ammunition (automatic and heavy military weapons are strictly prohibited) – MUST SEND by OTHERS!
    • Subject to many restrictions
    • Import Permit obtainable and issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF)
    • Proof of ownership
    • Registration, certificates and licenses required and vary according to the type of firearm, the immigration status of the owner, the destination and port of entry
    • If weapon was originally purchased or owned by Customer in the U.S. , proof of sale and date of sale required
    • Animals or plants (e.g. furs, skins, ivory tusks, tortoise shells, wood carvings, etc.) subject to the U.S. Endangered Species Act – CANNOT SHIP ON VAN – Unless approval is received in advance.


  • Automobiles are subject to import duties and taxes
  • Proof of ownership / Canada Title / Registration
  • Autos previously exported from the U.S. may be imported duty-free provided the customer can supply the export Ocean Bill of Lading and can prove that no modifications have been made to the auto since exporting from the U.S. and original copy of U.S state registration supplied
  • All automobiles imported must meet both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements
  • Information on emission standards can be obtained from the EPA
  • All costs for exam, testing or modifications of auto are payable by the Customer
  • Make, model and year of auto must be provided
  • Documents required:
    • EPA Form 3520-1
    • Purchase Invoice
    • Title / Ownership
    • Copy of Drivers License (if applicable)
    • Passport
    • 3299 form
    • Manufacturers letter of compliance for U.S EPA and safety
    • Lease Auto’s – Must have a signed letter from financial / lease company authorized auto to go to the USA (length to/up to (Shippers stay in the U.S)

PETS – Recommend 3rd party handling or travel with client

  • There are strict controls, restrictions, and prohibitions on the importation of animals, which is regulated by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and U.S. Public Health Service
  • A minimum of seven days notification prior to arrival is required in order to make necessary arrangements
  • Import regulations for pets may include the following, depending on the country of origin:
    • Original Certificate of rabies vaccination showing proof that the vaccination was administered more than 30 days prior to the flight, but not more than 180 days
    • Health Certificate from a veterinarian must be issued within 15 to 10 days prior to animals departure
    • Dogs and cats are not normally quarantined, but birds require 30 days quarantine and an Import Permit

Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Intercontinental Van Lines. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest Canadian customs office for full and current information prior to importation.